DH Open Office Hours
For the Spring semester, sessions will be once a week, lasting one hour in the DSC Media Lounge when it's available. They will be on Wednesdays from 1 PM - 2 PM. Each session will have a focus, but projects and student discussion will always take priority.
More information on DH Open Office Hours can be found at the DSG website's Open Office Hours page.
Idea of an "Open Office Hours Roadshow" component where, once a semester, we do a version of Office Hours in a room in a particular department (Holmes Hall in English / History, etc.)
We're trying to be more inclusive of CAMD, so we'll be having a series of Open Office Hours dedicated to things like social science and journalism.
We also eventually hope to have some resource people in to do Q&As about things like GIS and data viz.
- September 14th - Welcome to the DSG!
- September 21st - Open Session
- September 28th - Meet the Expert- Data Viz with Steven Braun
- October 5th - Hillary Talk - open access in DH
- October 12th - TEI working group presentation
- October 19th - Decoding the Dragon event
- October 26th - Kevin Smith Pedagogy talk
- November 2nd - Sarah and Ashley Balisage talk
- November 9th - Open Session
- November 16th - Open Session
- November 23rd - No office hours - Thanksgiving
- November 30th - Project presentations
- December 7th - Holiday party!
- WIP By Brooke Foucault-Wells, Moya Bailey, and Sarah Jackson
- WIP By Alicia Sasser Modestino
- WIP by John Whibey
- Sarah Connell Presenting her talk on Early Modern Intertextuality
- FabulaMaps demonstration
- Jim McGrath presenting on API's
Sept 16th: Welcome to DH!
This session will focus on an intro to Northeastern's DH scene.
- What do you want from the DH community?
- What experience do you have with DH?
- Do you have any project plans?
September 23rd: DH Tools
This session will focus on the tools commonly used in DH projects.
- Do you have a particular favorite tools or platform? Why do you like it?
- What tools would you like to learn to use, or resources you would like to have available to you?
- What do current DH tools lack?
September 30th: DH and Social Media
This session will focus on the intersection between DH projects and social media. Special guest Jim McGrath will be visiting from Brown to talk about his experiences in DH and Social Media. Jim has his PhD from Northeastern, and was the Project Manager on Our Marathon. He was also a former staff member at the DSG!
- What are the positives and negatives of crowdsourcing information, IE Infinite Ulysses and similar projects?
- What strategies are effective for getting more participation in a crowdsourced project?
- What does social media offer to DH that was missing in traditional academia?
October 7th: DH, Copyright, and Open Access Featuring Hillary Corbett to answer copyright and access questions!
- How does copyright effect my project? Is there copyright on things like twitter?
- How can open access benefit my project?
October 14th: No hours because of event.
October 21st: Amanda Visconti visit
October 28th: DH and the Social Sciences
November 4th: Lauren Klein visit: feminist data visualization
November 11th: No hours, Veteran's Day
November 18th: Micki Kaufman visit
November 25th: No hours, Thanksgiving break.
December 2nd: NULab presentation
December 9th: Final meeting of the semester: Come show your projects, and share what you've learned!
December 16th: NULab Christmas party.
- Departments with Presence
- Discussion Leaders
- Guest Speakers
Paul Fyfe (NC State)