DH Open Office Hours
For the Fall semester, sessions will be once a week, lasting one hour in the DSC Media Lounge when it's available. They will be on Wednesdays from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM. Each session will have a focus, but projects and student discussion will always take priority.
More information on DH Open Office Hours can be found at the DSG website's Open Office Hours page.
Idea of an "Open Office Hours Roadshow" component where, once a semester, we do a version of Office Hours in a room in a particular department (Holmes Hall in English / History, etc.)
We're trying to be more inclusive of CAMD, so we'll be having a series of Open Office Hours dedicated to things like social science and journalism.
We also eventually hope to have some resource people in to do Q&As about things like GIS and data viz.
- January 9
- January 16 - The Future of CERES: Exhibit Toolkit, Patrick Murray-John
- January 23
- January 30
- February 6 - Digitizing Historic Atlases at the Map Center, Belle Lipton
- February 13
- February 20 - Programming Without the Programming, Ashley Clark
- February 27 - Mapping Your Emotions, Bahare Sanaie-Movahed
- March 6 - No session, spring break
- March 13
- March 20
- March 27
- April 3
- April 10
- April 17
- September 12 - Welcome to the DSG and DH at Northeastern
- September 19 - Ryan Cordell, Building a Professional Online Presence
- September 26 - Open Session, What's Going on in the Field
- October 3 - Jim McGrath and Caroline Klibanoff, Marketing your DH Skills in a Professional Setting
- October 10 - Julia Flanders and Cara Messina, Design for Diversity
- October 17 - Stephanie Trowbridge, AR/VR/360 Pop-Up Lab at Snell Library
- October 24 - Alanna Prince, Decolonizing the Archive - Early Caribbean Digital Archive
- October 31 - Patrick Murray-John, Omeka Classic versus Omeka S
- November 7 - Giordana Mecagni, Ethics in DH and Archive Projects at Northeastern
- November 14 - Steven Braun and Bahare Sanaie-Movahed, A Visual History of Boston Through Maps
- November 21 - No session, Thanksgiving Break
- November 28 - Bill Dempsey and Debra Mandel, Digital Accessibility
- December 5 - Open Session, End of Semester Project Feedback
- December 12 - No session, Exam Week
- January 10 - Welcome back / meet and greet / future session brainstorming
- January 17 - The Scope, NU Publication
- January 24 - Caroline Klibanoff, DH Certificate WIP: Digital Intervention for Commemoration
- January 31 - Wollmar Nyberg Åkerström, a visiting scholar from Uppsala University Library in Sweden
- February 7 - Molly Nebiolo, DH Certificate WIP: 17th-Century Boston Map
- February 14 - Frederick Douglass Transcribe-a-thon
- February 21 - Open session
- February 28 - Hillary Corbett on DH and Fair Use/Copyright
- March 7 - Spring Break, no meeting
- March 14 -Cara Messina, DH Certificate WIP
- March 21 - Sarah C. present on the WWP’s Tier 1 grant and Word2Vec
- March 28 - Jeff Bourns, Linked Open Data for Language
- April 4 - Open session
- April 11 - Casper H, Game Design professor
- April 18 - Julia and Greg update on DHQ
- April 25 - TBD; No classes (Exam week & Our Marathon event)
- September 6 – no meeting, first day of classes
- September 13 - Welcome to the DSG and DH at Northeastern (Overview, Meet + Greet, Questions: What do you want from the DH community? What experience do you have with DH? Do you have any project plans?)
- September 20 - Workshop Design (DHers as Teachers) - Syd, Julia, Amanda, Sarah C
- September 27 - open session
- October 4 - Giordana, Archives
- October 11 - Mila Oiva, visiting scholar - Research on DH centers around the world
- October 18 - Bahare Sanaie-Movahed - Contested Spaces in Mapping
- October 25 - WWP/Sarah Connell-new interface for word vectors prototype
- November 1 - Jim McGrath, Day of DH
- November 8 - Steven Braun, Data Visualization with Legos
- November 15 - Stefanie Sobola, visiting scholar - Training a model to recognize American Indian stereotypes in 19C news and literature
- November 22 – no meeting, Thanksgiving break
- December 13 - Holiday Party!
- January 18th - Welcome back!
- January 25th - Archives presentation by Betts Coup on their record-keeping
- February 1 - Open
- February 8 - Sarah presents on giving good DH presentations to non-DH audiences
- February 15th - Open
- February 22nd - Bill and Dave discuss field & focus and comprehensive exams in DH fields.
- March 1st - Greg presents a work in progress on his DHQ work
- March 8th - Spring break
- March 15th - Jacque Wernimont Workshop on feminist DH work
- March 22nd - Open
- March 29th - Open
- April 5th - Twitter bot session
- April 12th - Joanne Afornalli DH Certificate project presentation
- April 19th - Leif Isaksen visiting scholar talk
- September 14th - Welcome to the DSG!
- September 21st - Open Session
- September 28th - Meet the Expert- Data Viz with Steven Braun
- October 5th - Hillary Talk - open access in DH
- October 12th - TEI working group presentation
- October 19th - Decoding the Dragon event
- October 26th - Kevin Smith Pedagogy talk
- November 2nd - Sarah and Ashley Balisage talk
- November 9th - Open Session
- November 16th - Open Session
- November 23rd - No office hours - Thanksgiving
- November 30th - Project presentations
- December 7th - Holiday party!
- WIP By Brooke Foucault-Wells, Moya Bailey, and Sarah Jackson
- WIP By Alicia Sasser Modestino
- WIP by John Whibey
- Sarah Connell Presenting her talk on Early Modern Intertextuality
- FabulaMaps demonstration
- Jim McGrath presenting on API's
Sept 16th: Welcome to DH!
This session will focus on an intro to Northeastern's DH scene.
- What do you want from the DH community?
- What experience do you have with DH?
- Do you have any project plans?
September 23rd: DH Tools
This session will focus on the tools commonly used in DH projects.
- Do you have a particular favorite tools or platform? Why do you like it?
- What tools would you like to learn to use, or resources you would like to have available to you?
- What do current DH tools lack?
September 30th: DH and Social Media
This session will focus on the intersection between DH projects and social media. Special guest Jim McGrath will be visiting from Brown to talk about his experiences in DH and Social Media. Jim has his PhD from Northeastern, and was the Project Manager on Our Marathon. He was also a former staff member at the DSG!
- What are the positives and negatives of crowdsourcing information, IE Infinite Ulysses and similar projects?
- What strategies are effective for getting more participation in a crowdsourced project?
- What does social media offer to DH that was missing in traditional academia?
October 7th: DH, Copyright, and Open Access Featuring Hillary Corbett to answer copyright and access questions!
- How does copyright effect my project? Is there copyright on things like twitter?
- How can open access benefit my project?
October 14th: No hours because of event.
October 21st: Amanda Visconti visit
October 28th: DH and the Social Sciences
November 4th: Lauren Klein visit: feminist data visualization
November 11th: No hours, Veteran's Day
November 18th: Micki Kaufman visit
November 25th: No hours, Thanksgiving break.
December 2nd: NULab presentation
December 9th: Final meeting of the semester: Come show your projects, and share what you've learned!
December 16th: NULab Christmas party.
- Departments with Presence
- Discussion Leaders
- Guest Speakers
Paul Fyfe (NC State)